February 20, 2011

City Pony

 
What a lucky girl...rides her pony (just to the trailer) on a pony in an upper class neighborhood.  Little Prince is such a great guy! The weather was perfect,not too hot, cool breeze, the street so quiet almost as if these large houses were vacant.  The party was so large that we had to park a block away and by the time we were leaving there were just a few cars left on this quiet street.  Staight ahead was a beautilful pond that just added to the serenity of the surroundings.  All that was missing was a pony until this moment which was only to last a few minutes. Little Prince goes places that no pony has ever been before and sometimes will never be again.  Watching my daughter ride Prince to the trailer while I was leading the minis, I remembered my youth and riding all over the county.  So, many kids these days tell me how much they wish they had a pony.  Most will never get the opportunity and some will be fortunate enough to take riding lessons to be around horses.  The larger percentage will ride Big Horses only the lucky few getting to enjoy the smaller ponies. 

My first horse was actually a welsch pony named Bonnie Belle, a smart red roan pony standing 11.2 hands tall.  She taught me more about living with a pony than I will probably ever learn from another pony in my lifetime.  Maybe it was because she was my first or maybe it was our special connection. I remember her now in my dreams and my thoughts and have probably said her name a trillion times since we parted.  I had a step dad that thought it was time for me to move up to a larger pony and sell my beloved friend.  This was the saddest moment I have ever known and horses were never quite the same to me.  I was not old enough to speak my mind about the situation and still to this day will never understand why I had to part ways with my best friend, my pony, Bonnie Belle. 

All the kids that say to me I wish I had a pony, how many would actually stick with it and enjoy a relationship with a pony that could last 30+ years?  How many people actually do that with their horses?  So many of the equine that live with us have had multiple owners.  Some not even given a chance to get used to their new surroundings only to be wisked away to a new location.  Equine can form lasting friendships that can last up to 40 years. 

I watched Little Prince walk so carefully and slowly such a gentleman. My daughter with the biggest smile ever.  My thoughts went to all the city girls that may look out their windows and dream they are riding a pony down their street. Breeze blowing their manes, warm sun on their faces, and smile so big they almost hurt. I wish I could capture all the fun rides and adventures I had with my pony and share it with kids today.  Some would be content with just one ride, others would realize their dreams and that dreams can be possible....so never stop dreaming because they might come true even if for a little while!

1 comment: