February 28, 2011

Dream Boat


Dreamer and Mariah in the trailer

 Dreamer is the sweetest horse I have known!   He is inseparable with his friend Mariah.  He loves treats and attention.  Always looking at me with a questioning face. He is my Hollywood.  It is very rare that Dreamer is seen dirty.  Always a gentleman, lowers his head for babies to touch.  Loves to lick hands.  Such the charmer, has stopped parades while children pet him..

Mariah has been his companion for 4 years and they are never far apart.  He is her eyes as she has moon blindness.  They spend every afternoon napping together between the pastures where the breeze is the best.  He is very rarely challenged for herd position as he runs his own special herd of mares mostly seniors and those that has been most neglected
Maraih following the cart
when they came in to our life.  Destiny weighed 80# on a weight tape when she came to live with us.  She should have weighed 150#.  The other lead gelding who has a wild nature tried to kill her and tore through fences to get to her. Soon she put on weight and joined the herd and became strong enough to find her place in the pecking order.  Destiny found her place in Dreamer's herd.  She has mellowed in the last year we have had her and she is no longer in recovery.  She follows his lead mare Sparkle who is 21 years old.  Destiny is 5 years old so she has bonded with Sparkle as her adoptive mother.  Never too far from this quiet gentle group. Dreamer has been a carriage horse for about 11 years and can also give saddle rides to toddlers.  We visit handicapped facilities and nursing homes and they even let him come in the building.

Dreamer was the first mini to bolt on me in harness.  I bounced out of the cart when he got scared of a pit bull in a fenced yard.  Horses don't reason and they react lightning fast.  My daughter who was 5 at the time was still in the cart so I couldn't let go.  He drug me several hundred feet down the street when I finally got my arm around his chest and pleaded Whoa.  I was scraped and bruised but otherwise OK.  Dreamer to this day is still very afraid of large dogs.  He must have had an experience before I owned him.  He is small and there are definitely dogs bigger than him and we have seen some together.   He is still the most wonderful mini to drive with his elegant movement and pleasant attitude.    Six months after I bought him his previous owner asked if she could buy him back and regretted his sale.  I couldn't part with Dreamer ever, and he will live out his life with me and his best girl Mariah.                                      
Dreamer

No comments:

Post a Comment