March 3, 2010

Freindship

Destiny came to us very thin and I wondered if she still had a will to live.  She has a petite frame and seemed so frail.  Each day she seemed to get a little stronger.  One day she began kicking and hurling herself at the buddy she came with, who's weight was good.  I knew that of the small amount of food they were getting he ate the most by his body condition.  When I first met them and they first came to live here they were inseperable.  Destiny followed Kiwi like a shadow.  Then the day of strength must have came for her and she let Kiwi know he would never eat all the food again.  For me it was a relief, the first sign she did have a will to live.  To this day she has to be separated at feeding time, which is most of the time according to her and has only been allowed surpervised visits with some of the younger geldings.  When my mare Sparkle had the seizure and went on a special diet I began separating her with Destiny.  Sparkle is 21 now and is the lead mare of the senior herd but now she needed rest and a break from leadership for awhile.  Destiny who is 5 immediately made it clear she was to be the boss in their herd of 2, unusual for Sparkle she accepted this and let Destiny be in charge.  They have been together for several weeks now and I've not seen any sign they were becoming friends or even liked each other.  As I was leaving for my afternoon errand I noticed Destiny mouthing Sparkle's neck and back.  I backed out slowly because I wasn't sure if Ishould see what they were up to and break them up in case Destiny was picking on Sparkle.  I kept watching and Destiny switched sides while Sparkle just stood there.  I realized that Destiny was going to groom her, that friendly scratch horses give each other on the withers. I watched them intently as my son closed the gate. I felt so happy for Destiny she now had a freind or a buddy at least.  She really didn't seem to know what to do at first but Sparkle patiently showed her and tolerated her clumsiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment