March 1, 2010

Sparkle

Sparkle was my first mini horse.  I got her when she was 16 years old ironically 16 years after I had seen a miniature horse for the first time.  Today Sparkle is 21 and counting!  Recently she had a seizure.  She was twitching and couldn't stand up without help but at 250# it wasn't easy to help.  I couldn't imagine if this was happening to a full size horse.  I now empathize with those that have HYPP positive horses and appreciate how important their diet is to them.  After our emergency trip to the vet and some bloodwork results the solution was simple?! Karo syrup as she had a low blood sugar level.  Total opposite of what some of my other minis have trouble with which is insulin resistance, with spikes in blood sugar.  This has all set in motion countless hours of research on equine nutrition, diabetes, hypoglaucemia, vitamins, minerals, holistic treatments, etc......I really love it. Sparkle is now on a special diet I have developed for her and has not had another seizure or a need for more Karo Syrup.
This is my favorite picture of Sparkle and her mini mule son Echo with Thibideaux his Dad in the background. The only baby she ever got to keep! She had 6 owners previous to me and was a broodmare. Around here she is our special girl and Echo is her constant companion and friend. Echo is believed to be the reason she had low blood sugar as he is 4 years old and was still nursing...now he is being weaned by us because for whatever reason Sparkle has not made him stop. I never worried about it since she was not going to be bred again until the night of the seizure.  She is just too good of a mommy. Currently Echo is hanging out with his Dad, Tibby.

Horses are not so easy to feed and care for as they are grazers yet have small stomachs and miles of intestines.  I find the challenge of feeding each one as an individual very gratifying.  Funny though the kids and I still like junk food and don't spend half as much time worrying about our own nutrition.  I think that's because we don't really want to hear about the things we shouldn't eat since some things are too good to resist even if we could make better choices.  I have a couple of minis that feel this way too and I'm thankful they don't know about Sonic and those shakes or what french fries and hamburgers are. 

No comments:

Post a Comment