November 15, 2009

Roy Rogers and Trigger

My hero has always been Roy Rogers. I have even, as a pre-teen,  owned a palomino and a German shepherd just like Roy.  When I was a child I watched Roy Rogers re-runs every Sunday.  I sat  and enjoyed every episode without leaving my seat.  We all have Heros..he is mine!




A palamino has come into my life again, Bonnie Belle, named after my first welch pony.  She is a big 16 hand Saddlebred.  She hasn't been handled enough in her 18 years of life but is starting to look forward to seeing us at feeding time and gives a welcoming nicker when she sees us.  If we touch her she pins her ears but tolerant of  us.  Some days though she doesn't want to be messed with .  Bonnie is a great companion to other equine.  She has a mule buddy and a 2 year old horse. She is much bigger than they are at 12 and 13 hands respectively.  The 3 of them eat shoulder to shoulder and if her pals leave the pasture for training, grooming or riding, Miss Bonnie has a fit. Bonnie is currently working on her trust issues with humans.  She has learned to lower her head for haltering as I'm 5' tall and her head goes up about 7 or 8 feet in the air.  Bonnie is learning to back up, which has been a big challenge for her, and has lengthy sessions of the Parelli Friendly Game.

No comments:

Post a Comment